Sunday 5 February 2012

The Fat Delicatessen - Something a bit different

Make no mistake, this place is really good. I've always struggled though because I had pigeon holed this place as a cafe, and it just isn't. It is probably a deli/restaurant rather than a deli/cafe. Now that I've got that in to my head I think I'm set to enjoy this place more often.

After the snow last night I was looking forward to heading out for a hot drink in Balham to soak up a winter vibe that hasn't really been around so far this winter. The Fat Delicatessen was quite a good place to do this, it's quite spacious but with a homely, deli feel, and plenty of space to unload coats before settling in. We were sat at the long benches towards the front (not in the photo below). It might be a little less roomy at the tables at the back but there you go.

Interior photo from The Fat Delicatessen website

The order:
Cappuccino
Single shot espresso
Hot chocolate
Tap water

Jam on toast
Green bean, feta, olive and sun blush tomato salad
Baked aubergine with mozzarella and rocket
Pot roasted chicken with chorizo, broad beans and peas


Love their menu

Espresso was very good. Hot, well balanced flavour which fills the mouth and stays with you. Very happy with that.

Cappuccino on the other hand was a bit watery, I don't think the espresso shot was able to handle the milk, not that there was too much milk but maybe the shot wasn't intense enough. Also the cap was a bit sudsy, although not the worst I've seen. It wasn't an offensive cappuccino, it just didn't stand up very well in a place that you would think would do a really robust coffee. Actually thinking about it, I have had good cappuccinos from here before so maybe this was just not their best work.

The hot chocolate was very very good. Large, great flavour right throughout and not to sickly at the end. I've had hot chocolates here before on the recommendation of a friend and would usually have one when I'm here because they're always good.

The food was also very good, my chicken was probably a bit dry, which I wouldn't have expected from a pot roast and the baked aubergine could have been hotter but all the food was very tasty and thoroughly enjoyed.

The drinks, hot choc at the back was probably the highlight

Bean, feta etc. salad



Pot roast chicken, a bit dry but yum and I like the dish it was served in, complete with lid.

The service was generally good, the chap who initially served us seemed new and didn't strike me as a natural but he was friendly as were all the other staff (who were also highly competent).

Reading the above sounds a bit negative but this was a very enjoyable outing and I'm really pleased we have The Fat Delicatessen in Balham. I like the vibe, it has a real authenticity about it which I love. It's also very chilled and it's a bit different to anything else so it's good for a change.

Scores:
Coffee (these are based on both cap and espresso so the average cap probably lowers the scores here, I'm not going to take into account the fact that I have previously had very good cappuccinos from here because that wouldn't be fair on the places that I don't have a history with.
Hot: 8/13
Aroma: 7/13
Flavour: 7/13
Texture: 8/13
Presentation: 7/13

General
Service: 8/13
Food: 9/13
Atmosphere: 9/13

Overall 8/13.
 
I'll be back here for sure, but maybe more as a restaurant/deli occasion, next time maybe a glass of red wine would accompany my food a bit better!

Their website
http://www.fatdelicatessen.co.uk/

Other reviews:
swishjunction
twelvepointfivepercent
urban-vegetarian
trusted-gourmet
aforkfulofspaghetti


Fat Delicatessen on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment