Wednesday 1 February 2012

Notes Music Coffee

I've thought long and hard about reviewing this place, it's not in Balham so outside of my 2012 challenge to try every coffee shop in Balham.

However I was meeting a friend, he had suggested Notes and given he is one of the more precious coffee drinkers I know I figured this place would probably be good.

As some context this was a late Friday afternoon coffee before a stag party, I'd had a full on week at a conference and was pretty shattered, I needed a caffeine hit. I ordered a flat white, single espresso and glass of tap water.

Having burst in and ordered drinks it wasn't till I sat down that I appreciated the atmosphere of this place. What a great combination of music, wine, coffee shop. They've done a great job of it, it all works together. I'd say at its heart it is a brilliant coffee shop with the rest built around but it all works so well. It's probably in a location that can pull it off too, although given my forays into the city are few and far between I don't really know.

So the coffee was sensational, particularly the espresso. The flat white was very good but the espresso had it all, strong aroma, sharp distinctive flavour that fills the mouth and stays with you. These guys know what they're doing and I don't think they make a big song and dance about it.

We were at the Trafalgar Sq branch, there's another at Covent Garden although I'm allergic to Covent Garden so probably won't go there. I'm looking forward to going back to the Trafalgar Sq branch to sample some food and music too.

As it's not part of my coffee challenge I'm not giving scores but this place is very good and I'll be back for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment